map gift shop are 21 this year!
To celebrate our birthday here are 21 random facts about us that you probably didn't know.
1. Ian and Kathryn met at Loughborough College of Art in 1983
an early brainstorming session - it most definitely is not a lounging around on the floor watching
"neighbours" and drinking Boddingtons session.
2. Before setting up MAP, Ian designed a Jacket for David Fielden eveningwear which was worn by Rachel Hunter
3. Ian had a stall at Camden Market in it's hey day back in the 1980's, this photo in his fabulous 80's pomp features in Caitlin Davies book Camden Lock and the Market!
Picture is taken from Caitlin Davies - Camden Lock & the Market
4. Kathryn painted a backdrop of Judy Garland for a music video in the late 80's
5. We were originally M.A.P. our very first design range was picked up by Terence Conran at our first trade fair and went on to become our number 1 bestselling iconic "sun" range selling internationally in all the best stores.
Photo from Period Living October 1993
6. We followed this range up with "Petits Mots" designed exclusively for The Conran Shop.
"Petit Mots" China exclusively for The Conran Shop
It's interesting that after 20 years the feature from World of Interiors 1994, showing our range and the trend of Typography and Script at the time, could easily be from any current Interior Magazine in 2014!
7. MAP collaborated with Liberty of London on a range to celebrate the re-opening of Shakespeare's Globe on Bankside in 1997
8. MAP's original home on Junction Road is now the fabulous La Belle Vie Flower Shop at 165, run by Sam and Sevgi. We relocated to our current home number 93 in 2000.
9. MAP started a Residents and Traders organisation in 1995 which preceded the current Archway Town Centre Management Group. One of their early successes was to raise funds for Christmas lights for Archway - A now annual tradition that Islington have kept going.
10. MAP launched a range of Toiletries in 1998 which proved hugely successful and featured on the cover Liberty's best Christmas gift guide in the same year.
11. We have a green certification and are energy efficient. In 2012 we changed 60+ bulbs in our shop, helping to make Archway a Low Carbon Zone, saving 5.34 tonnes of CO2 and hopefully a few pounds too!
12. Ian locked our old corner door for the last time on 5th April 2013
13. The beginning of a new era April 27th 2013 - with new map gift shop rebrand and brand new shop front and interior refurb. We were the first shop to have been given a shopfront Grant from Islington Council. We worked with local Architects Lyndon Goode.
14. We have been approved by Disabled London for creating space and access to our shop for Disabled customers.
15. Famous for our window displays - Ian worked with the Archway Town Centre Management Group on an initiative to promote visual merchandising and launched a competition for the most innovative window display in December 2013. Stagnells won the competition but our particular favourite was the Archway Sexual Health Clinic, with the tagline - "Santa has it covered! Have you?"
16. Number 93 Junction Road used to be a butchers shop.
17. Natashia Bhatia our Islington Exhibits featured artist 2013 was shortlisted this year for the Royal Academy Summer Show!
18. We recently lobbied Islington for much need cycle stands outside the shop.
19. We have launched a range of products called Archway Branded - celebrating our special neighbourhood.
20. Ian featured in the Kentishtowner Q & A last year.
21. As a thank you to all our amazing customers over the years - many of whom have become great friends we are about to launch a brand new initiative - currently top secret.